Today I did one of those things that interns are stereotypically expected to do. I was sent to fetch coffee for my boss. Okay, joke. It was lunch. She sent me to buy lunch. And she told me to get myself something. So it was fine. But I laughed at the irony of the intern being sent to procure goods.
Something more exciting happened today. I got to go with the curator to our photographer's studio on 5th Avenue to shoot some pieces for press and advertising purposes for our upcoming exhibition. Aka I spent my whole day transporting costumes and mannequins, assembling costumes and mannequins, and endlessly scrutinizing said costumes and mannequins for flaws with my own eyes and through the camera's eyes. It. Was. Fascinating. We spent all day on three pictures trying to get them just right. And the best part? They valued my opinion. They asked me what I thought and considered and sometimes acted upon what I said. It was great.
Even better? The names I was handling. I had never heard of one of the designers, but I was crazy over the two pieces we had from one of her collections - who knew such bizarre prints could be so tasteful? The other three designs we were working with were Alexander McQueens, who I have always had a strange awe and respect for, since visiting his collection of "Savage Beauty" at the Met in 2011. Seriously? I was studying real life Alexander McQueens today - handling them, looking at their construction, their prints, feeling their textures and marveling at their brilliance. Genius. Pure genius. And a day well spent. Beats staring at images on a computer all day. This internship is really starting to shape up.
And so will I. I just booked my second aerial yoga class. (Pun! Love those.)
I remember feeling like a real intern the first time someone sent me for food too! It was a joke, but I was bored at the time and then he felt bad and bought me a drink. But I didn't get to handle cool clothes afterward - so super cool for you :)
ReplyDelete