This is the sunset as I drove into Phoenix last night with my windows rolled down to enjoye the warm fresh air. What you can't see in the picture are all the delightful palm trees and cacti. I think I can get used to this environment.
Day one was certainly an adventure. I was feeling super confident as the day begun as I donned my new duds and and drove myself all over Mesa and Tempe to the tunes of my GPS. Then said GPS led me astray as I attempted to make my way into Phoenix and the museum so despite my head start I still arrived late and scrambling. Soon enough however I was shedding tears of great joy as I learned of the incredible fashion resources available to my itching fingertips at the museum including a near perfect rare collection of Vogue. Also... the museum has Gerome's "Thumbs Down." Win.
I met my supervisor and got invited to a party at her casa complete with a map drawn for dummies. It was two hours until party time, but since it was rush hour it wasn't worth my time to head home and back... so I sat in my car in the parking lot and laughed at all the people wearing wool coats and beanies. Joke. I did that earlier. I sat in my car and listened to Imagine Dragons while eating a Lunchable. They make those things fancy these days!
At the party I tried awkwardly to help out in the kitchen, but it turns out that I don't know anymore how to appropriately cut cilantro or juice an orange (fresh citrus - all the rage with these people) than I knew how to operate the wine opener they handed me. But I knew how to open and down those tamales. Except, maybe not even that, because I ate twice as much as any of my skinny fashionable peers. Introductions baffled me. These girls are some SERIOUS network. They have background and experience in all places all over - made me look like the lame little noob from P-town who somehow wrangled an undeserved invitation. I was a little crafty in what parts of my resume I chose to share in an attempt to match their fame and fortune.
BUT listening to them was so incredibly fascinating and enlightening. There is so much to do out there! And as much as I felt like I had know idea who these girls were or how I ended up in that room drinking orange juice while they balance wine glasses precariously on their fingertips, I felt inspired to find my niche among them - a balance of what I know and love, and the glamor they exude. I'll cease spilling my thoughts there at the risk of overly-sappy-saturating text that is probably already too full of eye fatigue for any of you to read. But know that it was an interesting day - worthy of the start of a peculiar adventure. Also, for anyone who has ever wondered what wine tastes like, I can't tell you how it tastes, but I can tell you it smells really bad.

I read it! I LOVED it! I will keep reading as long as you keep posting! My guess is you completely knocked their fashion-forward, erudite socks off with your natural charm and fabulously easy-to-love personality! Way to get out there and LIVE!!
ReplyDeleteyou are a charming writer!
ReplyDelete