On one of the last warm Saturdays of the year, we took our friends, Christy and Daxson, to one of our favorite places down by the lake for a picnic. The weather was perfect and the colors and textures of the lake in fall were stunning. I've always loved the vibrancy of colors in the fall. It seems strange that a season marked by the death of vegetation in many ways appears most full of life.
Of course, now winter has fully set in (which I really can't complain about, considering how long it took for temperatures to drop below freezing this year...) and with it, the typical drudgery of darkened afternoons and midterm taking/grading. And then of course, we got hit with $2600 of car repairs, which was extra fun.
I can't say I'm the most positive person, and I don't deal well with spontaneous changes or interruptions to plans. I've started to feel more overwhelmed with school and preparing for life after school. And because of this, I've become incredibly grateful for this time of year. I am so grateful to take a few days next week and not worry about deadlines, but to worry instead about baking treats and spending time with my family. I am so grateful for the mandatory pause from all of the rush and worry to stop and be thankful for the opportunity I have to gain additional education in such a positive environment, with people who understand my hectic schedule and obligations, to be in school with my husband, to have a car to drive, to be close to my family to help with and enjoy the birth of four new babies.
I won't argue with people who don't like Christmas music before Thanksgiving. But I do. I do, because to me, Christmas music isn't about a specific holiday - it's about a feeling. And the feelings I associate with Christmas, are the same feelings I associate with Thanksgiving - warmth, and love, and gratitude. And I only survive this time of year because I anticipate those feelings. Christmas music - this time of year - soothes my soul and reminds me that despite cold weather and its doldrums, my life is really quite wonderful. I have it so good.
And I'm grateful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment