Last week I got to enjoy one of the perks of working in fashion. As Dennita says, all the administration and desk work is important, but all the socializing and networking is important too. Making connections and building relationships open doors. So last week I got to meet designer Lisa Perry who has two dresses in our exhibition. She came to the museum with her mother to tour our exhibit with Dennita and I tagged along. The next day she invited Dennita to a meet and greet and luncheon at Barney's to celebrate her spring line. I didn't get to go to the luncheon, but Dennita took me to the meet and greet. Lisa remembered me and we kissed cheeks - you know, like fancy people do. Then Dennita went to the luncheon and I browsed Barney's and laughed at the price tags before moving on to the rest of the mall. (Side note: Even if you are wearing your very nicest dress, you will feel dressed in rags in Barney's. It can't be helped. But it's a beautiful store.)
![]() |
| Here's a photo of Lisa Perry with some of her designs I stole from her website. She's delightful. |
After the luncheon we took the director of Lisa's label back to the museum to see the exhibit - which Lisa had spoken of so highly that Jane just HAD to see it - before she caught her flight to their next meet and greet tour location. Exciting story: Remember Black Cloud? The butterflies I talked about a while ago? That is part of an incredible exhibit of Contemporary Latin American that you have to walk past on the way to the fashion gallery, and you really can't miss the butterflies. They are breathtaking. When we took Lisa through she asked about the butterflies and Dennita didn't know what to say. Since I had worked on it I knew some of the cool facts and piped up to let her know what it was. When we took Jane through the next day, Dennita said just said, "I don't know much about it, but Keri can tell you about this work." So I told Jane everything I knew. Look at me. Giving tours to important people. Felt pretty good.
In other news, here's a photo of the gang from the opening two weeks ago. Can we say... One of these things is not like the others? It's fine. And I have to say, it's not just my apparel and hairstyle that doesn't seem to belong... We had a professional photographer at the event snapping pics. I went through them all and these group photos are the only ones I am in. Everyone else is either the subject of or in the background of at least half a dozen other photos. Where was I? It's laughable. Really. The funny thing is, I think that the curator and I are actually really similar. This internship is so great.
![]() |
| Miranda, Casey, Dennita, Yours Truly |
I got to go home to visit Utah this weekend which was an absolute delight. But I will save all of those details for a different post. Meanwhile, Arizona is heating up, which I quite enjoy so far, and I have to say, there is truly nothing better than picking lemons straight off the tree for fresh-squeezed lemonade.



Lemonade with a plate of lemon crepes on the side, please! :)
ReplyDelete